In the year 2018, he became the fastest batsman to triumph the milestone of 1000 runs. He’s none other than the Captain of the Indian cricket team, Virat Kohli. This year, Kohli has so far built-up a run score of 1046. It took him fairly 11 innings to succeed in scoring a 1000 runs in ODIs to line up a replacement record. It was Wednesday, the day on which Virat Kohli had smashed an unbeaten 157 post 321/6 against West Indies at Dr. YSR ACA-VDCA Cricket Stadium, Vishakhapatnam.
1. Kohli broke his own record and that of Hashim Amla as well. It took 15 innings for Amla to attain 1000 runs in 2010 to achieve the record that was previously held by27-year-old David Gower of England, who took 17 innings within the year of 1983.
2. Within the annual accounting period of 2018, it took 11 innings to build a 1000 ODI runs for Kohli that broke the record of 2012, which took 15 innings. Following the column, it took 17 innings for Shane Watson in the year 2011, 17 innings for Kumar Sangakkara within the year of 2013 & 17 innings for Ab De Villers within the year 2015.
3. In 2018, Kohli scored five centuries and three fifties. His lowest score was 36 when he got run-out among the 11 innings. His runs in 2018 were –(112 runs from South Africa in Durban),(46 runs from South Africa in Centurion), (160 runs from South Africa in Cape Town), (75 runs from South Africa in Johannesburg), (36 runs from South Africa in Port Elizabeth), (129 runs from South Africa in Centurion), (75 runs from England in Nottingham), (45 runs from England in Lord’s), (71 runs from England in Leeds), (140 runs from west Indies in Guwahati), eventually making 157 runs against West Indies at Vishakhapatnam.
4. The second closest person to the record is Johnny Bairstow from England, achieving 1025 runs in 22 innings in 2018 at a mean of 46.59. He scored four centuries and two fifties.
5. From ODIs, Kohli had surpassed a thousand runs in other years too -In 2011, scoring up to 1381 runs, again falling to 1026 runs in 2012; succeeding the autumn and upsurge, he continued to attain 1268 runs in 2013, 1054 runs in 2014,& 1460 runs in 2017, 1377 runs in 2019. Thus, he had managed to form a thousand runs in previous years.
6. During his peak-touching score, Kohli became the fastest batsman to score 1000 runs in ODI cricket & his total run in 2018 was 1202 runs in 14 innings. Kohli took 205 innings, and 213 matches to succeed in the elite club, although it took 259 innings for Master Blaster Sachin Tendulkar, thus breaking the record of Tendulkar.
7. There are many more coherent players in ODI cricket who had stretched out
thousand runs in minimum number of innings. They are Fakhar Khan (PAK), Imam-Ul-Haq(PAK), Iva Richard(WI), K.P. Pietersen(ENG), I.J.L. Trott(ENG), R.N. Ten Doesschate(NL)& Azhar Ali(PAK).
8. Virat Kohli overhauls M.S. Dhoni to become the fourth highest run-scorer for India in one-day internationals. At that time, Dhoni had 10,123 runs in ODIs but from that, only 9949 had been scored for India – the other 174 runs were scored for Asia XI.
9. He has become the fastest batsman to attain the milestone of 12,000 runs in 242 innings in ODIs during the third ODI against Australia in Canberra. His record continues to touch great heights with seemingly every match he plays.
10. Kohli had shown the world that merely talent is not satisfactory; it takes great amount of hard-work and repeated exposure to your training that breaks the level of human capability and takes you to the superhuman level.